Madurai Institute of Social Sciences has formulated the Research policy which will be implemented by the research Centre.
* To identify research areas and topics relevant for academic, practical and social needs.
* To inculcate the culture of research amongthe faculties to undertake minor and major research projects.
* To sensitize the faculties and students, Research scholars on the recent trends in research by organizing seminars/conferences/workshops.
* To organise training programmes in qualitative and quantitative research methodology for faculties and students.
* The faculty members will be encouraged to undertake need based and innovative research work on emerging social issues by providing appropriate financial assistance.
* To undertake research projects for Governmental, Non-governmental organisations and Corporates.
* To ensure quality, integrity and ethics in research by providing adequate support and guidance for the research.
* To publish research articles in appropriate International/ National/ Regional journals.
* To facilitate the research scholars for publishing the research work.
Guidelines for Teachers:
* The faculty members have to send at least one research proposal (Minor / Major) in a year tothe International/ National funding agencies.
* The periodic monitoring of research projects will be done once in 3 months by the research committee and the progress report will be submitted to the management through the Principal.
* Faculty members will be provided permission, financial assistance and on-duty for attending conferences, seminars and workshops.
The research committee comprises of the Principal, Dean, Research Coordinator, faculty members with Ph.D, HODs of the research departments concerned.
Research Advisory Committee:
(As per the UGC guidelines of 2016 and MKUniversity research guidelines research advisory committee is constituted.)
* There shall be a Research Advisory Committee for each M.Phil. and Ph.D. scholar. The Research Supervisor of the scholar shall be the Convener of this Committee, the Head of the Department, one member of faculty of the same department and an external expert in the same subject nominated by the University shall be the members.
This Committee shall have
* To review the research proposal and finalize the topic of research;
* To guide the research scholar to develop the study design and methodology of research and identify the course(s) that he/she may have to do.
* To review atleast once in six months and assist in the progress of the research work of the research scholar. The review report shall be sent to the Director (Research & Projects) as soon as it is conducted.
* A research scholar shall appear before the Research Advisory Committee once in six months to make a presentation of the progress of his/her work for evaluation and further guidance. The six months progress reports shall be submitted by the Research Advisory Committee to the University with a copy to the research scholar. The research Advisory Committee shall submit a report to the University once in 6 months after the meeting of committee.
* In case the progress of the research scholar is unsatisfactory, the Research Advisory Committee shall record the reasons for the same and suggest corrective measures. If the research scholar fails to implement these corrective measures, the Research Advisory Committee may recommend to the University with specific reasons for cancellation of the registration of the research scholar. The University shall cancel the registration of such candidates.
* All candidates admitted to the Ph.D. programme shall be required to complete the course work prescribed by the Department during the initial one or two semesters. If the course work is not completed within one year of registration, the period of research will be extended to the extent of delay in the completion of the course work.
* Grades in the course work, including research methodology courses shall be finalized after a combined assessment by the Research Advisory Committee and the Department and the final grades shall be communicated to the University.
* Ph.D. scholar has to obtain a minimum of 55% of marks or its equivalent grade in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade/CGPA in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) in the course work in order to be eligible to continue in the programme and submit the dissertation/thesis.